Monday, February 1, 2010

Which came first, the chicken judge or the egg buyer?

Just got back from the grocery store. The check-out clerk asked me, "Have you checked your eggs yet?" as she rang up my carton of free-range organic eggs. I told her yes---I used to be a poultry and egg judge and got in the habit that way. I supposed that startled her...she looked up with a wow look under her mop of red hair.
Yes, I said, remembering my 4-H club experience, the best way to tell if a chicken is a good layer is to look at its beak, comb and feet. They should be gray...all the yellow pigment should be draining into the egg yolk. I also judged eggs, "candling" them by holding them over a light source and checking for blood clots and other interior imperfections revealed within the shell by the light behind. I also tried to learn about "freezer birds," but there didn't seem to be that many ways to judge a frozen dead bird. And what I didn't tell her? That we learned how to hold a live chicken upside-down and check its "vent," to make sure it wasn't yellow, and to note any pigment in that extremely personal area from whence the eggs came. Chickens don't blush in their private parts, so I can't say I saw any color of note.

No comments:

Post a Comment