Monday, November 9, 2009

making gf cf turkey tandoori

This morning, I've put some gfcf turkey in the oven. I had to come up with a new form of turkey because I couldn't stand to buy the same package of lo-salt Trader Joe's turkey yet again. It has an unpleasant smell and taste to me (although no one else in my new blended family complains). So I bought self-righteous turkey cutlets with no fat (also avoiding the lurking e. coli halo which shines from ground meats, which we do eat sometimes, making me an occasional hypocrite on food purity).
But I was depressed at having to make gf food again. Seems like my son's gluten and carb issues are rising again, and so time to cut back on those and increase clean gf products, gluten-free for you lucky souls who are not reading this with awareness of what hell that represents. You know--you've seen it in the grocery stores now, but luckily, you can just think it's some weird food preoccupation and walk on by. We are always cf--casein-free, as dairy is the faster-acting villain--but gluten is a ticking time bomb for some kids.
So I pulled out my new fun life experiences to try and alleviate the dull sadness of the old gf cooking activity. I've just been to India, so I thought of tandoori, a yummy red-seasoned chicken dish that I think my son will eat and not object to as too spicy, too slimy, too cold, too much gristle...yayaya. But them I remembered--yogurt is required! A gf/cf no-no. But I whipped up some Dari-Free milk (made from taters and available at www.Vancesfoods.com) and added that to the roasting turkey. It cooked quickly, 20 mins in a 375 oven, and I poured off the liquid, added more tandoori seasoning, and I swear I would have eaten it myself if I hadn't overdosed on a pumpkin muffin yesterday and cheated myself by also eating some of the leftover half today. Just too full to eat right now. But it tastes good. Kids love red foods chock full o dye, so let's hope he will eat it for dinner, snack and lunch.The lurking turkey will jump out at him everywhere he turns. But he likes turkey. Children are starving in India, I'll tell him, and this time, I'll have first-hand street cred behind this classic guilt-trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment